Sunday, January 9, 2011

Short Review: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Michael Cera gets cast as a gawky young man on the fringes of hip society. Again. His character plays bass in an indie band and he sees the world in terms of video games and comics, neither of which interests me much. The theme is something about self-esteem and relationships.

None of this would suggest to me that I would like this movie, but it was a long Saturday, and Redbox was low on other options, so I gave it a shot. And it turned out to be funny, visually interesting, and constantly entertaining.

While the bottom of the film is somewhat shallow, it occupies its ample energy whipping viewers through the mind of its protagonist, taking whimsical stylistic turns, employing the vocabulary of classic video games, hip culture, and underground music, and skewering its characters with enough self-awareness to poke fun at its own form.

There is nothing much in terms of substance here, but Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a good-natured, inventive little film that earns its laughs.

1 comment:

  1. Kristi and I were watching this when you texted me on Saturday. Imagine that.

    I thought it was both fun and dumb.
    Kristi thought it was dumb.

    ReplyDelete