Saturday, January 8, 2011

Short Review: Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence


While it may be true that this book was groundbreaking in its time, and that it necessitated some important legal battles about freedom of speech in literature, I had to plod my way through it with the aid of caffeine and a sense of historical import.

Its characters are walking ideologies who interact with so much melodrama that they're difficult to believe in.

I'm sure Lawrence's approach to the spirit/body dynamic was fresh in its time, but this reader/reviewer finds it fresh no longer. And the explicit language, so horrifying to our ancestors, seems more than a little cheesy in retrospect.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lawrence's earlier novel Sons and Lovers, and I intend to spend time with his other books in the future, but I ended this one with a sense of disappointment. I gave it some credit for being a brave effort by an author I like, but I can't offer any real praise for the content and approach of this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment